Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Always a Buckeye fan!!

The title says it all as the Fiesta Bowl has concluded and I have experienced heartache once more for the third year in a row. I'm not sure I have been at a game that was so exciting yet so disappointing all rolled up into one. Walking back to the car knowing that we could have won the game and going through all the different things that happened during the game that should have been changed...well, it was a long walk back.

Walking back though, I was reminded why I absolutely love the Buckeyes!! As obnoxious Texas fans in cowboy boots and tight wranglers walked past gloating as if hey had just won the Super Bowl just made me smile (and laugh-as I'm not a fan of the tight pants let alone Wranglers). Through the laughter, many Buckeye fans continued the spirit that will always be there no matter how much respect OSU continues to lose being a part of the Big Ten or how there's a constant cloud of others chanting how the Buckeyes are "overrated." Shouting "O-H" with a quick return of "I-O" just reminded me that I'm so excited to be a fan...no matter how much disappointment I have experienced in the last few years. There's a class and comradery among many of the fans that I love! I was again reminded of that as we drove home :)

Ok, so some may say that sounds cheesy and perhaps it is. But, Ohio State has been a part of my family since the day I was born and it is the game, the team, the University that brings the family together. It's more than just OSU it's a connection that brings us together and I was reminded of that this weekend. A couple of my cousins flew/drove out for the game and we all just had a day to spend with each other. As all of us are in different states it's not always easy to get together.

Ohio State is a HUGE part of my memory growing up and it truly warms my heart when I look back on the years. As we all grow older I cling onto that tighter than ever before. It's hard to explain but needless to say...it's frustrating when they lose. But at the same time, it's so great when they play because the family comes together and will continue to do so throughout the generations.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the weekend. My cousing Keith flew in from Denver and spent a couple days with us at my brother and sister-in-law's house. We did all the "before the game" events like the Fiesta Bowl parade (which was awesome)! As with the Rose Bowl, the two opponents in the Bowl game have the bands come out and play in the parade. I had no idea it would be so much fun as the band did an amazing job and we literally had Brutus (the mascot) come up to us and give the kids high fives. The bummer part is I didn't have my camera!!!!!! Not a big deal but it's typical to have a LONG line waiting just to take a picture with Brutus and he came right up to us!

After the game we went to the "Buckeye Bash" where the coach, team, band, president of the university, and of course Archie Griffin come out and talk about the game. It was a great day, but wet and cold as it was raining a little.

My other cousin came out with his girlfriend from Las Vegas and we all piled into the Suburban and drove down EARLY to the game to tailgate and hangout. It really was just a great time! We almost got on TV :) (there's a whole other story about that). But some of us did get in the Columbus Dispatch and possibly a local AZ newspaper. What was also great about this game is we all got to sit together which is very difficult in the past. You typically can't get that many seats together but somehow my Grandpa did. Thanks Gramps! It was a great Christmas gift...just next time, they NEED to win!


My nieces and nephews; Kristine, Todd, and Chad
The "Buckey Bash"

My cousin Keith and Chad

Look familiar? They'll show him in the crowd ALOT during a game

The team running in before kick off


Before the game

My brother and sister-in-law

We had great seats!


This was actually before the game

Buckeye Man and Big Nut (yep, that's his nickname)

Tailgating

A local reporter. She actually had us stay there as we had the best tailgate set-up according to her. She didn't have a long enough segment as she had originally thought so she didn't film us. But, she was RIGHT next door :)

No comments: